Director of Development and Special Events
Job Title: Director of Development and Special Events Status: Part-Time/Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director Supervises: N/A
Send cover letter, resume including 3 references to Jackie Sather at firstname.lastname@example.org
Background checks may be part of the hiring process.
Job Summary: The Director of Development and Special Events will work as an integral part of the Cody DIeruf Benefit Foundation (CDBF) team and provides extensive professional coordination to the CDBF fund and friend-raising. The Director of Development and Special Events will be responsible for planning and implementing annual and long-term development designed to generate charitable support and awareness. Responsibilities will include qualifying, cultivating and stewarding donors, as well as developing and coordinating special events designed to raise funding and/or awareness for CDBF. The Director of Development and Special Events will also play an integral part of the grant writing efforts.
General Development Coordination:
- Work closely with Executive Director and Board of Trustees to develop strategies for building charitable revenue through a variety of means including major gifts, corporate sponsorship, special events and direct mail.
- Facilitate qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Design and write annual giving solicitation materials.
- Develop and oversee preparation of CDBF correspondence and reports to donors.
- Develop and coordinate efforts for special events with the goal of raising funds and/or awareness of CDBF.
- Discover and oversee the writing of grants.
- Identify and oversee volunteers as they engage in events and fundraising programs.
- Maintain a high degree of knowledge, discretion and judgment in the development field, as an action plan for success is developed.
- Track and monitor all giving results.
- With the intent to reach and exceed pre-set financial goals, the Director of Development and Special events will coordinate and oversee a minimum of one annual major fundraising event.
- In the implementation of events, the Director of Development and Special Events shall develop strategies and oversees the generation of sponsorships for the events and programs.
- As needed, the Director of Development and Events shall develop and coordinate other special events that may encourage major gifts, develop awareness and friend-raising.
- Identify, recruit and cultivate volunteers for committees and events.
Other Duties as Assigned
Ideal Personal Characteristics
- Successful candidates must be committed to CDBF mission and excited about its growth and potential.
- A hard worker with a high energy level willing to work flexible hours (evening & weekend hours may be required).
- A team player who is flexible, creative and a proactive problem solver.
- Emotionally mature, self-starter and confident, with sound judgment and a good sense of humor.
- An understanding of and passion for the mission of CDBF.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
- Advanced word processing and data entry skills with skill using all Microsoft Office software.
- Proven successful track record of sales, fundraising, corporate sponsorships, and event development.
- Ability to build relationships including cold calling and customer relationship building.
- Willingness to participate closely with volunteers, Board of Trustees, interns and professionals in therapeutic community designed to increase quality of life for cystic fibrosis patients and their families.
- Excellent skills in communication (both verbal and written), planning, organizational, budget management and evaluation.
- Experience working autonomously within a team and with key leaders, as well as with and through volunteer groups, to achieve desired outcomes.
- Strong attention to detail with ability to see big picture.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
The above job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities as CDBF currently sees them. Roles and expectations may be modified as required.